Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pumpkin Scones

Starbucks Pumpkin Scones have been a favorite treat of mine for
10+ years.
A few years ago my daughter tried them and also fell in love. Being the person that I am, I naturally searched online for a recipe I could make at home, so I didn't have to buy the scones at Starbucks (which I rarely did). I found a recipe here: I've been using it for almost three years now, my family loves it, my co-workers love it, so needless to say, it's a keeper. I modify it slightly, which I will comment on in (parenthesis) below. I ended up tripling the recipe so I'd have some to take to work with me, and some to freeze (I just froze the dough.)

Yield: 6 scones

Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour

7 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

6 tablespoons cold butter

1/2 cup canned pumpkin

3 tablespoons half-and-half

1 large egg

Powdered Sugar Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

1 tablespoon powdered sugar

2 tablespoons whole milk

Spiced Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

3 tablespoons powdered sugar

2 tablespoons whole milk (I use half and half)

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 pinch ginger

1 pinch ground cloves

Directions:

TO MAKE THE SCONES:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Using a pastry knife, fork, or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half and half, and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball.

Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle (about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide). Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough twice through the width, making three equal portions. Cut those three slices diagonally so that you have 6 triangular slices of dough. (I NEVER do this, I just use a spoon and plop the dough down on the baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, they end up being roundish, not triangular, but I can live with it.)

Place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 14 -16 minutes. Scones should begin to turn light brown. Place on wire rack to cool.

TO MAKE THE PLAIN GLAZE (I don’t make this, I only make the spiced glaze)

Mix the powdered sugar and 2 tbsp. milk together until smooth.

When scones are cool, use a brush to paint plain glaze over the top of each scone.

AS THAT WHITE GLAZE FIRMS UP, MAKE THE SPICED ICING:

Combine the ingredient for the spiced icing together. Drizzle this thicker icing over each scone and allow the icing to dry before serving (at least 1 hour). A squirt bottle works great for this, or you can drizzle with a whisk.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/starbucks-pumpkin-scones-214051#ixzz1jS9aUsyg

No comments: